The document Mt St Michael’s College Philosophy and Practice succinctly captures our culture, our beliefs about learners and our educational practices leading to the vision of our Graduate.
Research into the characteristics of excellent schools drives our commitment to continuous improvement which is the hallmark of a professional learning organisation. These are nine characteristics most often found in high performing schools Bergeson (2007) to which we aspire.
- A clear and shared focus – everybody knows where they are going and why. Our mission and vision is clearly articulated and known by every member of the community. We have a powerful story.
- High standards and expectations for all students – teachers and staff believe that all students can learn and meet high standards. We set the bar high, our students enjoy the challenge and we love watching them excel.
- Effective school leadership – effective instructional and administrative leadership is required to implement change processes. Leadership is empowering. We aim to grow leaders in every area of the College.
- High levels of collaboration and communication – there is strong teamwork among teachers across all networks. Staff new to the College invariably confirm that this is a great strength; it is a privilege to teach here.
- Curriculum, instruction and assessment is aligned with standards and essential academic learning requirements. Critical to our commitment to excellence.
- Frequent monitoring of learning and teaching – to apply differentiation strategies for gifted and talented students and those who need further help. We have excellent structures for tracking student learning and implementing strategies. It is well resourced and effective.
- Focussed professional development for all staff. This is a key goal with our work linked to the National Professional Standards Framework, to build capacity more than accountability.
- Supportive learning environment. Students feel respected and connected with staff and are engaged in learning. One of our great strengths. We are a relational community.
- High levels of family and community involvement. Parents and families are welcomed into the community with a range of programs and activities to provide connectivity.