Mary Aikenhead Ministries -  In the tradition of the Sisters of Charity

Follow mtstmichaels on Twitter

For General enquires please call our Administration office:
(07) 3858 4222
Office Hours: 8AM - 4PM

Mt St Michaels College Student Laptop Program
Office Hours: 7:30AM - 3:30PM


The love of Christ impels us

Mary Aikenhead knew that suffering was inevitable, and she stimulated the spiritual energy of her novices by urging them to pray, in the words of St Ignatius;

Dearest Lord, teach me to be generous,
to give and not to count the cost,
to fight and not to heed the wounds,
to toil and not to seek for rest,
to labour and to look for no other reward
than that of doing God's holy will.

Related Topics

Gallery of Historical photographs

Sisters of Charity website

Sisters of Charity Schools

St Vincent's College

St Columba's College

Catholic Ladies' College

Our History

The history of Mt St Michael's College, Ashgrove has its beginnings in Ireland where, in 1815, Mary Aikenhead began the congregation of the Sisters of Charity "for the service of the poor".

In 1838 five sisters arrived in the colony of New South Wales in response to a request from the Archbishop.

They were the first religious women to respond to the needs of the new settlement and their first mission was to improve the lives of female convicts in the gaols of Parramatta.

The congregation established by these five sisters has been active in the educational, nursing and welfare work of the Church ever since.

The Convent Community, 1925 - click thumbnail to visit the Historical gallery This wealth of experience has guided the growth of Mt St Michael's College and underpins the sense of passion for the community and spirituality through service that are the hallmarks of our students.

The Australian Congregation flourished and, in 1925, the Sisters of Charity ventured to Queensland to open a school in Ashgrove.

Mt St Michael's College was founded by women of faith in response to the need for Catholic education for the young women of the area.

Past Pupils Reunion, 1942 - click thumbnail to visit our Historical galleryOriginally named Grantuly, after the spacious house which housed the school and Convent, our College became known as Mt St Michael’s College in 1941.

St Michael the Archangel was chosen as patron for the College. As the leader of the triumphant armies of Heaven during the uprising of Lucifer and patron of the sick and infirm and a favourite of the then Superior General of the Sisters, St Michael was a logical choice of patron for the College during the uncertain years of World War II.

The original home has been magnificently restored and is now the College Administration Centre.

About the Sisters of Charity

Born in Cork in 1787 of an upper class Protestant father and Catholic mother, Mary Aikenhead was deeply affected by her father's work as a doctor among the Irish poor and by his death-bed conversion to Catholicism.

She was charged with establishing the Sisters of Charity to work in the service of the poor and disadvantage.

The Sisters of Charity believe in a commitment to social justice and to the environment and that anything is possible through the gracious and providential love of God.

Mary Aikenhead and the Sisters of Charity believed in the union of constant practical work and the highest spirituality and interior discipline.

Mary developed a deep faith in Divine Providence and constantly reminded her sisters that they could count on the gracious and providential love of God as they endeavoured to meet the needs of the poor.

Sisters of Charity website

site design by Blink Studio - click to visit the Blink website

© Copyright 2010, Mt St Michael's College in the tradition of the Sisters of Charity